The objectives are as follows:
1. Eliminate open defecation,
2. Conversion of insanitary toilets to pour flush toilets,
3. Eradication of manual scavenging,
4. 100% collection and scientific processing/disposal reuse/recycle of Municipal Solid Waste,
5. To bring about a behavioral change in people regarding healthy sanitation practices,
6. Generate awareness among the citizens about sanitation and its linkages with public health.
7. Strengthening of urban local bodies to design, execute and operate systems,
8. To create enabling environment for private sector participation in Capital Expenditure and Operation & Maintenance (O&M) costs.
The Mission has following components:-
1. Construction of Household Toilets,
2. Community and Public Toilets,
3. Solid Waste Management,
4. Information, Education & Communication (IEC) and Public Awareness,
5. Capacity Building and Administrative & Office Expenses (A&OE)
Minister of Urban Development